Are the gaps from missing teeth in your smile causing gaps in your self-confidence? Maybe you are afraid of losing your dentures when you sneeze too hard, laugh, or when you eat certain foods. Are you experiencing pain because your dentures fit poorly? Implants could be the answer to your problems.
What Is an Implant?
Simply put, an implant is a post made of titanium. We place it into your jaw bone where your tooth should be and then use it to mount crowns, bridges, and dentures. The implant is not removable and is, therefore, permanent. You do need to have healthy gums and enough jaw bone to place the implant for the procedure to be right for you.
In time, the implant will fuse to your jaw bone and become a stable anchor for restorations. Because they are so stable, your new crowns or bridges will not shift when you eat or talk, and they function as if they were your “real” teeth. If you wear a denture that has been stabilized with implants, you will no longer require adhesives and you won’t have the hated “sore spots.”
Some Reasons Implants Can Be a Good Choice
- Implants stay put — A permanently placed implant is durable and worry-free. In place of a root, a titanium screw is placed that integrates with the bone in your jaw. The tooth is actually a porcelain crown. If cared for correctly, your implants can last a lifetime.
- Teeth are protected — Studies have shown that the placement of implants can stimulate the tissue in the jaw bone, which helps to prevent additional bone loss. In contrast, dentures that fit poorly or are worn too long can actually contribute to bone loss.
- Implants feel and perform like “real” teeth — When completed with a crown, they will look and feel as close to your own teeth as possible. You may forget you have them because they fit and perform so well. That’s our goal!
- Implants’ strength rival “real” teeth — You can bite into an ear of corn and chew your favorite cut of steak again. You won’t have to “choose the best chewing side” to avoid unstable bridges or dentures.
- Self-confidence boost — When you don’t have to worry about losing your crown or denture and when you have “filled a gap” for missing teeth, you can relax and enjoy life.
But, Are Dental Implants Right for YOU?
At Dental Solutions of Mississippi, we know very well that every patient is unique. Wonderful as they are, implants might not be the answer in every instance. The process itself takes a bit of time to complete, and implants are sometimes a more expensive option for replacing missing teeth. Our many satisfied patients tell us the implants feel “real” in use, appearance, and comfort, and they feel worth the expense. If you are ready to discuss how implants could work for you, contact our office for an appointment. We serve patients in the Canton, Mississippi, area.